September 19, 2010

Lead by Example, Not by Exemption

In response to last week’s article, a reader (who wishes to remain anonymous) wrote:
Your observations about self-serving leaders (his words) are appropriate.  Too many leaders…don't take seriously their responsibility to care for the people they are supposed to be leading.
A turning point for me personally was when I was a young military police lieutenant in the Army.  During our training as officers we were told that if we ever had to take out a sniper in a building, we would be the first ones in and our soldiers would come in behind us.  I was shocked.  Number one, because I realized that in combat I probably would not live very long, and number two, because I realized that the Army expected me to value the lives of my people more than I valued my own.  After my initial moment of being somewhat stunned, I internalized the lesson, and I have never forgotten it.  “A leader gets paid to lead.”
Another illustration is that among Army paratroopers, it is a time-honored tradition that the highest ranking officer on the plane is the first one to jump.  
The older I get, the more I appreciate what Jesus did, and the more I appreciate the example that He gave us.  
My friend is right. It is a dangerous thing when any leader begins to think of himself (or herself) as indispensible and exempt from the rules that govern the people he or she leads. The best leaders lead by example, not by exemption. Here is a simple formula for effective leadership from the Apostle Paul: 
 
1. “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment.”   (Romans 12:3)


2. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)


3. “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Philippians 2:4)


In summary, Paul says, the leader should have the same attitude that Jesus showed:


“(He) made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a slave.” (Philippians 2:5-7)

 
Can you imagine how the atmosphere in your workplace might change if you started a new trend by adopting these simple principles? Simple, but very difficult to embrace because our natural tendency is to think of self first and others last (if at all). The most effective leaders demonstrate an attitude of service to others. In response, the people they lead tend to follow with loyalty and dedication to the task.


Hint to the Leader
            What kind of example would people say you are setting for the people you lead? Try to think of one way you could begin to implement leadership by example instead of exemption.


Hint to the Follower
             Remember, your leader has needs too. Look for ways to serve without being asked. Even if your own leader does not set an example of servanthood, you can still exert your influence by being an example to others. Something as simple as giving up your place in line can make a difference.


© Dr. Larry N. Gay, September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment